Your podiatrists in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, can help you get relief from heel pain
If heel pain is interrupting your ability to enjoy your day and stay active, it’s time to do something about it. Your podiatrist can help. Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel at Emerald Coast Podiatry in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, provide a wide range of foot and ankle services, including treatment of heel pain.
Heel pain can come on suddenly and acutely, resulting in stabbing, intolerable pain. Heel pain can also develop gradually, causing an aching pain that makes it difficult to put weight on your feet.
Heel pain can be caused by a few factors. You may experience heel pain due to:
- A heel bruise, caused by walking on sharp, hard objects
- A heel spur, caused by excess deposits of calcium on your heel
- Plantar fasciitis, caused by inflammation of the tissue on your heel
- A medical condition like arthritis or diabetes
For mild heel pain, you can try a few simple remedies at home, including:
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Wearing cushions or inserts in your shoes to cushion your heels
- Doing gentle arch stretches several times daily
For moderate to severe heel pain that is interfering with your life, it’s best to visit your podiatrist. Your podiatrist will perform a complete examination of your feet and ankles to determine what is causing your heel pain. Additional diagnostic tools including imaging and laboratory testing may be recommended.
Professional treatments for heel pain include:
- Custom-fit orthotics to cushion and support your heels
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling
- Stretching exercises and physical therapy to keep your feet flexible and reduce swelling
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment
To find out more about the causes and treatment of heel pain and how your podiatrist can help you get relief, call Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel at Emerald Coast Podiatry in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL. Call the Fort Walton office at (850) 862-4119 or the Crestview office at (850) 682-6522.