How wound care from your podiatrist in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, can help you heal.
If you have diabetes, you already know about the tremendous effects diabetes can have on your body, especially your feet. Even the smallest cut or blister can turn into a serious wound. That’s why wound care is so important. Proper wound care can save your feet and toes.
Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel at Emerald Coast Podiatry provides a wide range of foot and ankle services, including wound care for diabetic feet. He has two convenient office locations in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, to help your feet.
Diabetes affects nearly every system in your body, including your circulatory, nervous, and immune systems.
When you have an impaired immune system, it means you don’t heal quickly, and in some cases, you may not heal at all. If you cut your foot or develop a blister, instead of healing normally, you may deveIop a diabetic ulcer. When you have a diabetic ulcer, it’s an open sore that can become infected, and it's also very painful.
So, how do you take care of your diabetic feet? Let’s start with the basics. You need to:
- Wash your feet in warm water and mild soap every day
- Apply moisturizing cream to keep your skin from cracking
- Check your feet and toes every day for any injuries or blisters
- Keep your toenails clean and trimmed straight across
- Wear comfortable, supportive socks and shoes
If you develop a wound on your feet or toes, you need to rest and take the weight off your feet. Seek out the help of your podiatrist. Common professional wound care can include:
- Prescription oral or topical antibiotics to eliminate infection
- Prescription topical medications to reduce wound pain
- Bandaging to protect the wound
Proper wound care can help save your feet. To find out more about wound care and how it can protect your feet, call Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel at Emerald Coast Podiatry. You can reach him in either the Fort Walton Beach, FL, office or Crestview, FL, by calling (850) 862-4119. Call today.