How your podiatrist in Fort Walton Beach, Crestview, and Niceville, FL, can relieve plantar fasciitis pain
Do you suffer from chronic heel pain? If so, it might not just be heel pain; you could have plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is a common source of heel pain that affects runners and joggers, but you don’t have to be an athlete to develop plantar fasciitis. The good news is, your podiatrist can help.
Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi at Emerald Coast Podiatry offers comprehensive foot care services, including the treatment of plantar fasciitis. He has convenient office locations in Fort Walton Beach, Crestview, and Niceville, FL, to help you and your feet feel better.
Plantar fasciitis is a condition during which the thick band of tissue running across your heel, known as the plantar fascia, becomes inflamed. When you have plantar fasciitis, it’s common to experience:
- Stabbing pain in your heel and the side of your foot
- Increasing foot pain when you first put weight on your feet
- Increasing foot pain when you become active
In addition to running and jogging, there are several other issues that put you at higher risk of developing plantar fasciitis, including:
- Overpronating, or rolling your feet when walking
- Standing or walking on hard surfaces for long periods
- Being overweight, flat-footed, or older
- Wearing inappropriate, unsupportive shoes
If you are experiencing any of the signs or symptoms of plantar fasciitis, there are several remedies you can try, including;
- Icing your foot and heel several times each day
- Stretching your arches several times each day
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
Remember to also avoid walking barefoot, and always wear appropriate footwear for the activity you are doing.
For moderate to severe plantar fasciitis pain, it’s best to visit your podiatrist. Common professional treatments for plantar fasciitis include:
- Custom-fit orthotics and footwear
- Night splints and other assistive devices
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical therapy and stretching exercises
- Laser modulated pain therapy
To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of plantar fasciitis and other foot and ankle issues, talk with an expert. Long-distance runners and athletes like the doctors at this practice have first-hand knowledge of this problem. Call Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi at Emerald Coast Podiatry. You can reach him in Fort Walton Beach, FL, at (850) 862-4119, or Crestview, and Niceville, FL, at (850) 682-6522, so call now!