Do you know how to keep your feet and ankles protected and safe from injury?
Your Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, podiatrists, Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel, work with athletes of all ages to ensure that they are implementing the proper strategies to keep their feet and ankles healthy throughout the year. Whether you are training, already in the heat of the season, or somewhere in between, we want to provide you with helpful tips to keep your feet and ankles safe all year long.
How to Protect Against Injury
While nothing can 100 percent safeguard you from injury, there are certain things you can do to lessen the chances of a foot or ankle injury. Here are some ways to reduce sports-related injuries:
- Take 5-10 minutes to warm up your muscles with a brisk walk and active stretches before jumping into a game or training
- Make sure you are wearing properly fitted shoes that offer ample support, cushioning, and shock absorption
- Make sure you are wearing the appropriate shoes for the activity you are participating in
- Toss worn-out shoes that are no longer providing your feet with proper support
- Consider getting custom orthotics from your podiatrists
- Make sure that you are taking breaks to reduce muscle fatigue
- If you are in pain, stop all activities immediately. Do not try to push through it!
Practice Good Hygiene
Just as you need to brush and floss your teeth to keep your mouth healthy, there are certain hygienic practices that you need to implement to keep your feet and ankles healthy. Good hygiene includes:
- Rotating the shoes you are wearing and avoiding wearing the same shoes two days in a row
- Make sure that you are changing your socks regularly and do not wear the same socks every day
- Wash your feet with soap and water, making sure to clean between toes to remove bacteria and fungus. Also make sure to dry feet thoroughly after washing them
- Wear protective footwear such as flip-flops when in locker rooms, communal showers, bathrooms, and pools
When to Turn to Us
You don’t have to deal with foot and ankle problems to benefit from turning to your Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, podiatrists. We can offer a wide range of recommendations and preventive care to help strengthen, train, and protect your feet and ankles from injuries. We can also provide recommendations on the proper footwear and orthotics to use for your chosen sport. Of course, when injuries and issues do arise, know that our team is here for you. You should turn to your podiatrists right away if:
- You have sustained an injury to the foot or ankle
- You heard a popping sound at the moment of impact
- You are dealing with severe pain and swelling
- You notice numbness, weakness, or tingling in your feet
- You develop recurring or persistent heel pain
- You develop nail fungus
- You notice a visible deformity or change in the structure of your foot
If you are looking for podiatrists in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, who provide comprehensive sports care to athletes, then it’s time to turn to Emerald Coast Podiatry. We work with everyone from professional athletes to recreational athletes. To schedule an appointment, call 850-862-4119 or 850-682-6522 today.