Heel pain can be debilitating, not to mention the many complications that may arise if the pain isn’t dealt with immediately and accurately by your Fort Walton Beach and Crestview, FL, podiatrists, Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel. Dr. Ricciardi and Dr. Patel care about providing their patients with the necessary knowledge to help them cope and treat plantar fasciitis.
Heel and Arch Pain:
The pain you're feeling may be caused by the inflammation of a connective tissue known as plantar fasciitis. This connective tissue isn't just in your heel though, it extends past the arch of your foot, reaching your toes.
Causes of Pain:
The causes of pain vary from one person to another:
- Injuries, such as bruises, sustained during activities like walking, running, and excessive jumping
- Wearing improperly fitted or worn down shoes
What are some other issues?
Here are other causes of pain that may be more serious and may require you to visit Dr. Ricciardi and Dr. Patel's office in Walton Beach and Crestview FL:
- Overpronation: When someone's walk is abnormal, the foot rolls inward with each step. This places tension on connective tissue (plantar fascia), the arch stretches, and the foot flattens out. When there's constant pressure, inflammation occurs and the individual starts feeling pain.
- Heel Spur Syndrome: The stretching of the plantar fascia causes an individual to feel constant force applied to the muscles and ligaments of his or her foot. This may result in torn linings and membranes that should be covering the heel bone.
There are several methods of treatment, some more conservative than others:
- Laser therapy
- Stem cell injections
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Ice packs
- Stretching exercises
- Orthotic devices
- Heel Surgery
Do you need more information?
Plantar fasciitis is a debilitating condition and requires immediate care. If you have any questions or concerns, please consult your Fort Walton Beach and Crestview, FL, podiatrist, Drs. Cosimo Ricciardi and Neil Patel, at 850-862-4119 for Fort Walton and 850-682-6522 for Crestview.