Toenail fungus in Crestview & Fort Walton Beach , FL is not just unsightly it is an infection. Like all infections, if it is left untreated it is not a healthy thing. It may spread to other parts of your body and to the other members of your family. Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel of Emerald Coast Podiatry offers treatments to help treat toenail fungus.
Toenail Fungus Causes
Toenail fungus is caused by microscopic fungi that live in moist and warm areas such as around a pool, shower, or locker room. If you walk barefoot in any of these areas you are at risk of picking up toenail fungus. You can also pick it up from another person who is infected through contact. This may be from sharing a towel or a nail clipper. You are more vulnerable if you have a broken or damaged nail or a cut in the skin around the nail.
Toenail Fungus Treatment
Toenail fungus is a hard thing to get rid of. There is no instant cure, it can take months and even years and even then, it can reappear. If you have a mild case of toenail fungus in Crestview & Fort Walton Beach , FL it may involve topical medication or medication that you take orally. These may provide temporary relief, but there is no guarantee that the results will be long-term.
Laser treatment for toenail fungus has been approved by the FDA. The heat from the laser kills the fungus. It is a painless treatment with no side effects. You still need to be very careful not to expose yourself again because this is not a lifetime cure.
Toenail Fungus Prevention
In order to avoid toenail fungus you must take some common sense preventive measures.
- Wear flip-flops or water shoes when walking in damp areas
- Throw away the footwear you wore when you had the fungus
- Change your socks daily or whenever they get sweaty
- Wear shoes that allow your feet to breathe
- Wear shoes that don't crush your toes
- Sanitize your nail clippers
- Don't share your nail clippers, shoes, or socks
- Keep your feet dry and clear
- Allow damp shoes to dry before wearing them again
- Use antifungal powder in your shoes
- Treat athlete's foot immediately
Contact Dr. Ricciardi and Dr. Patel of Emerald Coast Podiatry when you are suffering from toenail fungus in Crestview & Fort Walton Beach , FL. To make an appointment, call the Fort Walton Beach, FL, office by calling (850) 862-4119, or in Crestview, FL, by calling (850) 682-6522, so call today.