Arch pain can be difficult to deal with. The sharp, stabbing pain in this sensitive part of your foot can make it difficult to stay mobile. Your podiatrist can help you get relief from arch pain. Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel at Emerald Coast Podiatry offer a wide range of foot care services, including diagnosis and treatment of arch pain. He has two convenient locations in Fort Walton Beach and Crestview, FL.
What You Need To Know About Arch Pain
So, what does arch pain mean? It can mean a few things, including:
- You need better, more supportive shoes
- You need to avoid walking around barefoot
- You are walking and standing on hard floors for too long
- You are overstressing your feet
For mild, occasional arch pain you can try:
- Placing an ice pack on your arches to reduce swelling and pain
- Elevating your feet to take weight and pressure off your arches
- Wearing inserts or arch cushions in your shoes
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
If your arch pain continues, it means your arch pain could be caused by:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Fallen arches
- A structural abnormality in your foot
For moderate to severe arch pain that isn’t resolved with home treatments, you need to visit your podiatrist. Treatment begins with a full examination of your feet. This may include imaging studies to check for structural abnormalities in your feet. Your podiatrist will diagnose what is causing your arch pain. Depending on the cause, treatment may include:
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce swelling and inflammation
- Custom orthotics and footwear to help support your arches while you move
- Assistive devices including walking casts or boots to provide support
- Physical therapy and arch stretches to help maintain mobility and reduce pain
Want To Know More?
To find out more about the causes and treatments of arch pain, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Ricciardi and Dr. Patel at Emerald Coast Podiatry. You can reach them in both the Fort Walton Beach and Crestview, FL, locations by calling (850) 862-4119, so call today.